[HUU] WARPS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Malgus Arcturis-Nat Lowe

Go down

Malgus Arcturis-Nat Lowe Empty Malgus Arcturis-Nat Lowe

Post  Nathaniel Lowe Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:25 pm

The Journal of Malgus Arcturis:
The Expedition to Japan.

My name is Malgus. I am a Magi of the Hermetic Order, house Bonisagus. Recently graduated. You will not have heard of heard of me. At least not at the time of this book's creation. A fact I hope (Over the course of this book's chronology) to rectify.
This is Journal, detailing the second expedition to Japan, the eastern Isles of the cost of China. I was selected, along with several others to form both a Covenant and a Tribunal in this new land. The primary scout force has made no contact with order since its inception, and we are assuming the worst. I have heard whispers of another Magi currently residing in Japan, who is to be our guide and colleague whilst we are there.
It is Spring, and my fellow graduates have been summoned to Stone Henge, where Tribunal will see us off. I will miss the fields of England, but this is a chance to take the next step in my quest to become one of the greatest Magi this Order has ever known. Optimistic, and a touch arrogant I know, but I can not think of one Magi who did not set out to be the best he can be when they left for their Covenant.

I will keep in regular correspondents with my brother though. After the death of my parents I was the only family he ever had. And him mine. A Knight of high caliber; he retained the titles our parents left him, whereas I abandoned that path when I joined the order. No matter. With each chain broken, the closer I come to freedom from that past. I hear is courting a lady of some court of other. I never keep track. He may be pious, but his courting never seems to last more then a year. Something about, “finding the right one, before making such a commitment”. I wonder if I will ever know something similar? Our Journey awaits, but I do not believe it will all go smoothly. We will be entering a foreign land, with no obligation to show us kindness, nor honor. We know nothing of their culture, their rites and ways of life. But that would be another element of this mission I suppose. Regardless of the difficulties and inconveniences,  this opportunity must not be missed! Imagine what marvels we will uncover there? Away from the lofty sneers of fellow mages looking down on me, with company who actually want to be there, and with access to research materials never before seen by our kind! I have no doubt that this was the dream that drew the others to this calling as well. And we will answer this call!

1160: This is the year we set off! We gathered at Stone Henge, and formed the circle. The circle closed, and myself and my companions vanished. Well, that was the appearance anyway. We moved.
We materialised on a vast ship. The sailors were busy with there work; climbing, rigging, tending to sails and what not. The looked a mix of European and Mediterranean decent. Unfazed they continued there work, presumably used o our kind dropping in. A crew that panics is no use to anyone, let alone an order of magic. Crossing vast differences by teleport is one of the greater achievements of the Order. Trips that would take months by men can be done in seconds by magi. That being said, some take to it more then others. Admittedly it made me a little queasy, but one of us was violently sick after only a few seconds of appearing. I did what I could, but it seemed like a bad case of motion sickness. Nothing I can do him, though. Motion sickness is not high on the list of priority medical studies. My fellow magi introduced themselves as Atticus (The terminly motion sick), Vayne, Hone, Aberlard, Rowan and Catherine. Tefra was also apparent, but there is something about her. Probably my general sense of women. Its not exactly been having much use. Other thoughts preoccupied my mind of late.
After Half a day of travel, we arrived at the shore of Japan. Words can not describe such as sight, but for the sake of this document, I shall try. Unlike the shores of Britain, with its white coast jutting evenly above the waters, Japan is awash with hills, mountains, fields and forests. Imagine all of that along he coast as we approached, but mix within it a sense of awe and unrealness. It dawned on us just how far away from home we really were. Magical talent we may possess, awe can still hit us in the gut now and then.
We met our Guide there. A friendly little women called Kazeko Tsokymi. However, custom dictates that the last name is more polite, so I at least will honour that custom and refer to her as Tsokymi-chan. The suffix a greeting, or endearment of the person in question.

After disembarking we decided to continue through to Nara, the province our Covenant was to reside. We considered mingling with the locals but we had little or no understanding of the language they spoke. I will have to learn it eventually. Perhaps our Guide could accommodate me? I'll look into that later.
Our residence resided (as they often do) on a mountain top. On first glance it looked a little like staked pyramids, but on closer inspection it revealed itself as a grand manor. Small walls surrounded the manor, with a stable within. We deposited our horses there, and looked around. The house was lined with dust. I nearly stumbled upon our host's sanctum, but made a hasty retreat before we entered. I have taken up residence on the top of the tower, which resided in the courtyard. There I spent the remainder of the year giving the place a much needed clean, and over hall. I also set up my lab, and had an interesting study of one of the books on 'Creo'.  I suspect studying will play a large part of our roll here. We after all, newly graduated. We have along way to go before we can fully represent the Order here.
I hope this mission goes well, but as I said, I am not expecting this to be a walk in the park. After all. We are replacing the first mission out here. They disappeared for a reason

1161:  My opinion of japan after this year is fluctuated frequently. There was a Rebellion, called locally and possible nationally as the Heigi Rebellion. 30,000 people our dead, and such conflict is not unheard of here. It may become very difficult to stay out of local politics if our presence is viewed as an asset or bane by any of the clans here. The rebellion was painfully put down, but the province was relatively unscathed, but the signs are still there. Army camps, starvation and poverty are little more common then before.
We set up a hospital to provide local healthcare. This may improve our local relations, and ease our transition to their society. Let them know we are not a threat, and want to help. If a positive relationship can be set up with the locals, it will both help our mission here in the long run, and give us one less thing to worry about. Caution should be used however. It is there society, and we are guests, not conquerors.
Throughout the Spring I studied the Corpus form. With the possible addition of corpus Vis, and the occasional use of magical healing, I need to know more about this form. It will also help in my other studies. The majority of my knowledge has some relation to this form. It is a core part of my life as mage, and I should treat it as such.
Summer and Autumn was spent brushing up on my Latin. We will need to record many events and books for the benefit of my fellows here and at home. Since the language is in Latin, I will need to be fluent. Fortunately, but the end of Autumn I was finished and began writing. In fact I wrote my first Tractus in Mentum, that year using those skills.
An interesting development occurred actually. Tefla discovered a new magical creature, which we had never before seen. It was identified my Tsokyomi-chan as a Kappa. A creature about a foot in height, like a bipedal tortoise, with an indentation on its head. It was filled with water, with a few magical properties/. Early research relayed by Tefla suggests it drinks blood and has limited elemental magic. Specifically, weather in the form of rain. If harnessed, it could prove useful during drought, but to be honest, Tsokyomi-Chan is a very talented young weather witch in here own right. I doubt we would need such lower form of demon in such circumstances, but it reveals how little we know about the magical lore of this place. Any number of creatures could be here; the land itself harboring untold secrets of our craft. Understandably we are exited about the possibilities. Perhaps vivisection can reveal more about their blood sucking nature. I have never seen life draining crafts from such a creature before. I will discuss it with Tefla next chance, but she may have other plans. Or at least, only one Kappa.

Last edited by Nathaniel Lowe on Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Nathaniel Lowe

Back to top Go down

Malgus Arcturis-Nat Lowe Empty 1162:

Post  Nathaniel Lowe Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:09 am

Spring: Spring started of well enough I suppose. Despite the advances of Tefla's research into Kappas, I am guessing she is considering more advanced beings for study. I myself Spent the season studying the Form of Rego. It should complement my corpus form delightfully!

Summer:
A representative of the local Lord came to visit. understandable it seemed he was questioning why a group of scholars should have such a large force to guard our easily fortify-able home on the mountain top. We explained our reasoning, and he seemed to accept it. We left out the part that we were powerful Magus' from the Order of Hermes. I think he has enough to worry about with out thinking about powerful sorcerers on his doorstep.
After he accepted our reasoning, being that we live in his rule, he offered to us a blade. A symbol, I am told of friendship and loyalty between the household and the Lord. The Lord will offer us his protection, in return we send a tithe each year 36 pounds of silver in all. It could have been 35, but that would also mean we would contribute a soldier, and that violates our law of non intervention in times of war.
After heavy debate, be decreed that Charlotte, a female knight of all things should be our head of house. Not my first choice, or indeed my last. Personally i felt that none of the suggestions were suitable. One would always put his God before diplomacy, one their patients and her, her code of chivalry. Only one other suggestion would have been able to fully commit herself to herself to the cause, but although she has many qualities that would have made her an excellent spy, a head of house? Perhaps not. She is noticeably lacking the etiquette department. Maybe she could accompany Charlotte on one of her trips?
Just before departure, I learned that Charlotte has the ability to see spirits! This skill is fascinating, and if I could understand there composition, and nature, it would aid my research considerably. Good Charlotte has offered to teach me such skills, if she is able, and so I accompanied her on the delegation to the Daimyo.

Autumn: The lesson failed to pass on the skills I desired, but maybe there is another way? I traded three corpus Vis for three Vim Vis, and began experimenting...I'm hoping that with enough knowledge, I could bestow the talent to myself some other way.

Winter: I have noticed many times, that several of are new found compatriots train in the yard with the guard, or by themselves. As I was yet to do my obligatory service to the covenant this year, so I have begun searching for tutor in the arts the sword. I will ask Kazeko and Yunka if they know of any locals, who may wish to offer their services to us. Then I'll go find them.

Nathaniel Lowe

Back to top Go down

Malgus Arcturis-Nat Lowe Empty 1163:

Post  Nathaniel Lowe Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:00 am

Spring: I could not locate a suitable weapons teacher, so I returned home empty handed. No matter, more important issues remained. I had my first attempt at creating a brand new spell, but with debatable success. On one hand, my research has lead me to believe that, with the right spells, I can mimic Charlotte's vision of the other world. I will certainly need more expertise in the areas I believe required however.

Summer: To continue my studies, I delved more into the world of Intellego, a skill required if I am ever to master the world of the spirits. I know so little about them, and with out the sight, I can learn little. I'll just keep trying.

Autumn: I'll also need to increase my knowledge of Vim, so I read the Tractus we have on the topic. This should help considerably in my efforts to learn the nature of the dead, and the possibility of communing with them.

Winter: I recalled the tale of my comrades venture to a strange battlefield, wear upon they were attacked by a horde of un-dead, and looking upon Charlotte's scared body fills me with guilt. If only i had come with them, I could have healed there wounds during combat, and prevented the scaring of such a fair lady. But I was not, and it may be that I will not be there next time as well. Consequently, I have copied my entire wealth of knowledge, and the spell craft I graduated with into the covenant library. They may learn such spells, and I hope the will be of some use.

Nathaniel Lowe

Back to top Go down

Malgus Arcturis-Nat Lowe Empty 1164:

Post  Nathaniel Lowe Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:23 am

Spring: Having been in Japan some years now, and not able to converse with a countryman with out the aid of a translator, I have devoted this season to learning the language of the Japanese.

Summer: I learnt some more Japanese this season, and can now understand the language very well.

Autumn: I decided to look around the area for a new vis source, in the hope to contribute more to the finances and magical potential of the covenant, and located a Herbem Vis Source. It was a strange looking y-shaped tree in a clearing. It was beautiful. If I ever get married, I shall take my wife here someday. I admit i was tempted to keep it for myself, but remembering the code, I surrendered its location to the covenant. I got to keep the first pawn of Herbem Vis though, which I promptly traded for a pawn of Corpus vis from Atticus.

Nathaniel Lowe

Back to top Go down

Malgus Arcturis-Nat Lowe Empty 1165:

Post  Nathaniel Lowe Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:25 am

1165:
Spring:
This season we discovered something...strange. One day Kezeko came bursting into the house shrieking! It was a bit gargled, and she was clearly upset, so I asked her what was wrong. It was the Sakura tree's. These beautiful pink blossomed trees were not blooming...and we had no idea why. After some theories were suggested, we split up to determine the root of the problem. We soon learnt that there was no Herbem Vis anywhere, and an immense amount of Ignum Vis Deep underground.
We dug down, a deep tunnel could take us the source. Tefra, in her infinite wisdom decided it would be funny to push me down said whole. Hoe undignified! An Kazeko ha the nerve to laugh about it!Even give her a gift! Still, we were immediately confronted with what was most likely the main problem. A large tree. Ginormous, absolutely massive was somehow growing underground. We concluding that the tree was draining the Herbem vis some how. Something else was strange about this however. There was a large fire burning around the tree. A few tests concluded this was no ordinary fire.
Continuing to explore we came across something truly mythical. Two phoenixes. One red one blue. Fire and Ice. Locked in a battle of some kind. Kazeko could here them clearly over the roaring fire thanks to a spell she used, and was able to share these sounds directly with us. It was a riddle contest. each competing to get the other to forfeit. We decided to partake. And the others were very good at asking riddles that only they knew the answer too, phrasing them to get the phoenixes to answer questions about why they were here. I had a different plan. Why get a riddle per question, when you can get the make the forfeit to bind them to our service? Naturally, I immediately set about asking them the questions. I managed to bind the ice phoenix, but in attempt to win the next question I failed. The forfeit was...painful. I was knocked unconscious, and only found out the later details when I awoke. (9xp)

Nathaniel Lowe

Back to top Go down

Malgus Arcturis-Nat Lowe Empty 1165: Continued

Post  Nathaniel Lowe Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:02 pm

Summer: During my slow recovery, i had fantastic assistance from my friends as colleagues. I had the help of fantastic doctor, and i even managed to continue my study of Magical lore. However, i developed an infection and contracted a strain of pneumonia. Not the nicest illness, but I suppose It could be worse. I'll admit, though i'm sure that bloody bird considered it well within its right to strike me like that, the largest injury was to my pride. Me? A powerful corpus mage, being hospitalized due to passing out? Ridiculous! I won't visit that bird for a while. it should give me time to cool off. Still, we a re fortunate to have in our service, two phoenixes. The other can help me in future studies.

Autumn: During my studies of these great birds, I have come across some fascinating discoveries. Whether or not these have already been document, I know not, but I will compile these studies in to Tractice (I will also be in keeping my word to Aberlard, in shearing this study) and making it freely available to my fellow Magus. The book is in the library, so I won't bore you with the details, but the long and the short of it is this: There bodies possess some highly unusual properties, which will prove of much use for our kind of work. their feathers bestow immunity to their selected element. Just as there can be a phoenix of fire, or ice, its feathers can bestow immunity to this element. This is only temporary, and the feather is used up, but the key point, is that the immunity it bestows, though temporary, far exceeds that other normal enchantments. the feathers of a phoenix provide immunity from the magical fire a fire phoenix will produce it's self!
Another particularly intriguing property is that of the phoenix ash. i am yet to test this myself, but it would seem that the ash possess great restorative powers. Further study is needed, but since this is only harvest able in the split seconds after death, and though fascinating, I am not yet ready to slay such a creature, when we possess only two. If they are no longer needed, perhaps. though i would not seek to do so, unless there is no other option. (+5 xp, add's tractice lvl 11, on Magical lore.)

Winter: I finally completed the book, and added it to the library. An extract is as follows.
"Phoenix: Its forms, properties and trait. A Study my Malgus Arcturis: The Japan Covenant: 1165."

''A phoenix is a magical creature that forms the shape of a bird. This much is well known. However, there exact nature is something of a mystery, and it is now believed that these majestic birds can be aligned to an element. these birds hold enormous potential, and when strongest, can penetrate even the strongest Parma Magica.
Traditionally, phoenixes are believed to reincarnate at death, and be reborn in their ashes, but this is a spawned a popular misconceptions. The age old belief that there can in fact be only one phoenix in existence at a time is in fact false.
These birds possess both the normal traits of a large bird, including the ability to fly (A great achievement considering its size) but they also possess various mental abilities, and an affinity towards their aligned element. The origin of these birds is as of yet unknown. These birds, though rare, have been sighted all over the world, from Europe to Japan.This Study aims to identify several less known properties of phoenixes, and their potential uses in our craft. ''
-An extract from the introduction, paraphrased for your convenience.

Nathaniel Lowe

Back to top Go down

Malgus Arcturis-Nat Lowe Empty 1166:

Post  Nathaniel Lowe Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:14 pm

Spring: I spent this season studying the craft of Parma Magica. i have grown attached to the gardens around our estate: the fresh air doing me good in assisting in my recovery from pneumonia earlier this year. Charlotte was in need of Vis, I presume on the quest of a fellow mage, or else pursuing her own interests, but for some reason, I felt compelled to help her. She did not seem in any great need as such, but...I don't know there is something about her that resonates with me. She in not unattractive, but...Maybe this is what my brother keeps going on about in his letters...Oh dear.

Summer: I studied Parma Magica again this season. but the strangest things happened. it turned out, Rowan was going to get Married! To Kazeko! I'd never have though! They never mentioned it to me, but I was out in the gardens and I heard this loud trumpeting. A small army at their backs escorting Kazeko's family up to our hill. On foot. And they spoke in Latin. Clearly negotiations have been going on for a while behind our backs, and I wish them the best. But it was quite strange. they both look so young, and with the too of them sitting at the table, with everyone else, discussing their match? It certainly felt a little odd. Poor Kazeko looked utterly terrified as well. She was trying to get the attention of someone at the tea ceremony, and ended up throwing a pillow on to the table. With magic. I think her parents know she possess magic, and judging by their reaction to our reaction, they must know that we at least know of her talents, but I do not know if they know we all possess the Gift. Time will tell if this will work, but I hope they will be very happy together. And it gives the rest of a conversational topic at dinner.

Nathaniel Lowe

Back to top Go down

Malgus Arcturis-Nat Lowe Empty 1166:

Post  Nathaniel Lowe Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:31 am

Autumn: This season, I decided to study Magical Theory. This will be vital for my more complicated spells, and even simple ones. i need to be able to make these in my lifetime. (14xp)

Winter: We've had influx of Jews from a redcap portal. Sure many of them are great craftsmen, and we could do with the revenue. And I'm told they are also fleeing from a slaughter from their village. but our stores will feel a hit. We will need more food supplies, and make sure we don't start having monetary issues. I'll expand the farm. (2xp)

Nathaniel Lowe

Back to top Go down

Malgus Arcturis-Nat Lowe Empty 1167:

Post  Nathaniel Lowe Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:42 am

Spring: I've made a decision. I love Charlotte. I've sen her many times, out heading to the forge. Her blonde hair in the breeze. But I possess no skills of Etiquette at all. If I ask her now, she'll turn m away! I'll have to find a suitable teacher. (adv 5xp)

Summer: This season i taught some Magical Theory to Catherine. She was an able student, and learnt well. i hope I can provide further such services in the future. (2xp)

Autumn: I learnt some etiquette from our new teacher. he's...not the best teacher, but I think It was a good deal. (9xp)

Winter: I need a wedding present, fast. Something of beauty. Something of value. Something...ah! I know what. I'll get her a phoenix feather. They are prized by magi, and coveted by the phoenix themselves. The rarely let them go. I'll make it an offer of anything they'ed like. Problems arose. In my wish to grant it it what it want, i did not dissipate sits need for nothing. They are immortal birds after all. Still, I came away with two feathers. in return I'll give it 16 Pieces of Ignum Vis. i'll give 3 as a down payment, and pay the rest back yearly. (5xp)

Nathaniel Lowe

Back to top Go down

Malgus Arcturis-Nat Lowe Empty 1168:

Post  Nathaniel Lowe Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:00 am

Spring: The Marrage has begun! There was much fanfare and joyous ruckus this season. Kazeko's family came, with a very large escort! As did Rowans it would seem. The Fae Queen, Titania herself! It was a momentous occasion, but an urgent summons from the Emperor gained our attention. A few of us left quite quickly. Talreta, Charlotte, a scribe or some such, Robbie and myself embarked on the journey to Kyoto, the capital. After being bared from the first two inns, we soon discovered the problem. My Gift. Being the only mage, I was attracting us the wrong kind of attention. Even the others seemed weary of me...I forgot...I must have been cooped up to long. When i realized this, I was...disappointed to say the least. I tried to share my Parma Magica with the others so we could at at least attend the journey civilly, but...I couldn't give it to Charlotte. Something was blocking me, and I know not what. And as I have to touch to transfer the protection, it will make dialogue here very difficult. The custom is to bow to each other! o friendly shake or firm clasp, but to bow. This will make conversation tricky. In an attempt to break through the barrier, I offered to pay for the expenses. (Or rather, the covenant would. If I phrased the request properly). That was a mistake. The eat so much!
Still, we persevered, and soon entered Kyoto. And again. And again. Signs saying Kyoto were all the way along the road,such were the fields to support such a city.
On the first day, Robbie set up a stall, Charlotte disappeared, and I went in search of Magical artifacts, or other items of Interest. I detected a magical aura near the fountain in a public garden and went searching for its history. After much discussion and assistance from the scribe, we found the library, but in my excitement, I forgot that these library books are not in Latin. I could not read them!
Near night, we gathered at the inn, but Charlotte was not among us. I'll admit, I was a little worried for her, so using a piece of here hair taken from the bed, I zoned in on her position. She was circling the city, with an old chap, who left when we approached. She did not tell me who he was, or what she doing, but I didn't pry.
The second day, we went to the palace, however in an attempt to contact Charlotte, I was severally weekend. We entered the palace anyway, escorted (and rounded up I might say) by several guards, and bundled us, weapons and all, into the palace. (They must be pretty sure of their defenses to allow us in just like that!)
We entered, and came into the Emperors chamber. Sitting next to him, talking, was Charlotte. Ah. Talreta, Immediate knelt down, and i copied her. Charlotte was a little confused at first, until Talreta hissed to her, who exactly the young man we were kneeling too was. I could have burst out laughing, at her reaction. She had no idea!
We presented him with a gift, and received a delicately made Tanto in return, and were soon dismissed. It later transpired that the order for Talreta was to investigate if we were a threat or not. (5xp, put into Arts Liberalis)

Summer: We discussed the issue at counsel in summer. We also decided to address the transparent ground problem, and the soon to be foo shortages. We are going to be building under ground farms, with magical lighting and heating to sustain these crops. To think! We can have bread soon! We can also sell any left offer produce to Nara, and ease are money troubles as well. I took this opportunity to read the Muto book(lvl 20, quality 11) (14xp)

Autumn: I read the newly imported Route book on Animal, (score now 5)

Winter: I Wrote a tracti on Penetration today (Com=1, +6 +Bonus of 3 due to Good teacher) (Quality 10) I Also withdrew a piece of Ignum Vis from my allowance and paid the Phoenix for this year.

Nathaniel Lowe

Back to top Go down

Malgus Arcturis-Nat Lowe Empty 1169:

Post  Nathaniel Lowe Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:43 pm

Spring: Corpus Book (14xp)
Summer: Corpus Book (14xp)
Autumn: Corpus Book (14xp)
Winter: Wrote a Tractatus on Vim, donated to covenant, and donated 1 Ignum pawn to phoenix.

Nathaniel Lowe

Back to top Go down

Malgus Arcturis-Nat Lowe Empty 1170:

Post  Nathaniel Lowe Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:29 pm

Spring: (Aging role, no apparent aging) Got air vent magical lab item, +1 rego) Re-purposed lab (2xp)
Summer: Re-purposed lab (2xp)
Autumn: Corpus book (14xp)
Winter: Corpus Book (14xp) Paid Ignum Vis to phoenix.

Nathaniel Lowe

Back to top Go down

Malgus Arcturis-Nat Lowe Empty 1171:

Post  Nathaniel Lowe Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:11 am

Spring: Service counted this year, do to two services done last year. Aging Roll, aged one year. Rbuilt lab. (2xp)
Summer: Specialized new lab. (2xp)
Autumn: Creo book. (18xp)
Winter: Magic Theory book (14xp) Donated 1 Ignum piece to Pheonix

Nathaniel Lowe

Back to top Go down

Malgus Arcturis-Nat Lowe Empty Re: Malgus Arcturis-Nat Lowe

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum